Biosafety Manual

51 Biosafety Manual G. Transporting and Shipping Biohazardous Materials On-Campus Transport of Biohazardous Materials Any biohazardous materials transported between laboratories or buildings on campus must be contained, as they would be in the laboratory, to prevent release of the materials into the environment. Refer to the Guidelines for Transport of Infectious Materials by NonCommercial Routes for detailed procedures. Transport containers must be labeled with the biohazard symbol and the identity of the material inside. For example, to transport a rack of test tubes containing serum samples from pigs infected with Salmonella spp. from a laboratory in Science II to a laboratory in Molecular Biology: • The tubes must be capped and placed inside a sealed, punctureresistant, unbreakable secondary container with a biohazard label indicating Salmonella spp. The secondary container must contain the samples in case the person carrying the container drops it. Adequate absorbent material must be placed between the two containers in case of spills. Transport of any material subject to a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) permit can be performed only in accordance with the permit conditions. For example, a researcher has a permit to work with a porcine virus in a Veterinary Medicine laboratory. This virus cannot be transported to another laboratory on campus without the written permission of the USDA. These guidelines also apply to plant pathogens. Transport of genetically modified (GM) plants or GM plant pests must be in accordance with USDA regulations in 7 CFR 340.8 and labeling must be according to 7 CFR 340.7. Transport of any Select Agents between laboratories or buildings on campus also requires that records be kept of the amount and locations. The Select Agent regulations are described below. Off-Campus Transport of Biohazardous Materials by Commercial Carriers All off-campus transport of biohazardous materials by commercial carriers must comply with federal and state shipping and permitting requirements, as described in the following sections. Off-campus includes across town to a collaborative research facility, out of town within the state, out of state in the United States, and out of the country.