Radioactive Materials Safety Manual

26 Radioactive Materials Safety Manual Environmental Health and Safety After the package is obtained, laboratories must submit the RAM in the unsealed package to EH&S with a parcel post mail card. EH&S will verify packing and affix proper markings, labels, shipping papers, and arrange for pickup by the courier. Other important considerations Liquid RAM requires either double containment or the container be packaged with an over-pack and box with enough absorbent material to contain twice the actual volume of liquid. Any other questions concerning transportation and packaging should be directed to EH&S. Transportation of RAM or Devices Iowa State University personnel may be required to transport RAM to non-ISU property for diagnostic or research purposes. IDPH and DOT rules for shipment and carriage must be followed. EH&S must approve all transportation of RAM to off-site locations. The approval will include the shipper, carriage, and security measures. Only ISU vehicles may be used to transport RAM or devices containing RAM, unless specific approval is given by EH&S. Temporary Job Sites and Remote Locations Occasionally, RAM, instruments, and devices containing radioactive sources will be used at temporary job sites or remote laboratories. Job sites located outside of Iowa require reciprocal licensing to be in place and three days advance notice before travel may begin. All transportation, posting, security and notification requirements under the local rules apply to remote locations. Remote job sites are subject to audits and inspections by EH&S and the governing regulatory agency. The use of RAM at all temporary job sites and remote locations must have the prior approval of the RSO. Reciprocal Licensing The use of RAM or devices outside of Iowa requires licensing by the regulatory agency with jurisdiction at the work location. Typically, the governing agency will grant a one year reciprocal license allowing ISU to operate within their jurisdiction for 180 working days. All costs for reciprocal licensing are the responsibility of the PI or department conducting the work. Reciprocal licensing must be planned well in advance. Allow at least four weeks to complete approvals and licensing procedures. Note: Reciprocity may take four to six weeks for approval.